If you are looking for a quick and easy vegan recipe that is packed with protein, fiber, and flavor, then you will love this smashed curry chickpea salad. It is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a salad, a sandwich filling, or a dip for fresh veggies. Plus, it is gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free, making it suitable for various dietary preferences.
This smashed curry chickpea salad is made with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. All you need are:
🔸1 – 15.5 oz. can chickpeas
🔸35 gm / 1.2 oz. celery (finely diced)
🔸25 gm / 0.9 oz. red onion (finely diced)
🔸¼ cup soy-free vegenaise
🔸1 tbsp lime juice
🔸2 tsp curry powder
🔸1½ tsp Dijon mustard
🔸¼ tsp celery seeds
🔸¾ tsp sea salt or to taste
🔸½ tsp black pepper or to taste
– Chickpeas: Also known as garbanzo beans, these legumes are a great source of plant-based protein and complex carbohydrates. They also provide iron, folate, and antioxidants. You can use canned or cooked chickpeas for this recipe, just make sure to drain and rinse them well.
– Celery: This crunchy vegetable adds a nice texture and freshness to the salad. It also contains vitamin K, vitamin C, and potassium. You can finely dice the celery or chop it into larger pieces, depending on your preference.
– Red onion: This adds a sharp and sweet flavor to the salad, as well as some color and crunch. You can also use white or yellow onion, or even green onion for a milder taste.
– Vegenaise: This is a vegan alternative to mayonnaise, made with oil, vinegar, and spices. It gives the salad a creamy and tangy consistency. You can use any brand of vegenaise that you like, or make your own at home. Just make sure to choose a soy-free version if you are avoiding soy.
– Lime juice: This adds a burst of freshness and acidity to the salad, as well as some vitamin C. You can use fresh or bottled lime juice, or substitute with lemon juice if you prefer.
– Curry powder: This is the star ingredient that gives the salad its distinctive flavor and aroma. Curry powder is a blend of various spices, such as turmeric, cumin, coriander, and fenugreek. You can use any type of curry powder that you like, or make your own by mixing your favorite spices.
– Dijon mustard: This adds some depth and spice to the salad, as well as some vinegar and salt. You can use any kind of mustard that you like, or omit it if you are not a fan.
– Celery seeds: These are tiny seeds that have a nutty and earthy flavor. They complement the celery and the curry powder well, and also provide some calcium and magnesium. You can find them in the spice aisle of most grocery stores, or online.
– Sea salt and black pepper: These are essential seasonings that enhance the flavor of the salad. You can adjust the amount of salt and pepper according to your taste buds.
To make this smashed curry chickpea salad, you just need to follow these simple steps:
1. Drain the chickpeas from the hot water and place them in a large bowl.
2. Smash the chickpeas with a fork or a potato masher, leaving some chunks for texture. You can also use a food processor or a blender, but be careful not to over-process them.
3. Add the celery, onion, vegenaise, lime juice, curry powder, mustard, celery seeds, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix well to combine.
4. Taste the salad and adjust the seasonings as needed.
5. Enjoy your smashed curry chickpea salad as a salad, a sandwich filling, or a dip for fresh veggies.
This smashed curry chickpea salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months, but it may lose some of its creaminess and texture when thawed.
This smashed curry chickpea salad is a delicious and healthy vegan recipe that is perfect for lunch, dinner, or snack. It is easy to make, budget-friendly, and full of flavor. Try it today and let us know what you think!